with great care!
pre mid 1970's lamps had white asbestos. You certainly should use a mask, and better still dismantle and remove them in a clear plastic bag you can seal and dispose of later.
From the 70's we used asbestos compound which is relatively safe as it does not break up and crumble.
These are a browny orange colour and are unmistakable from the earlier ones.
From around 2001 we used kevlar based washers.
Any more questions let me know.
John Howell wrote:
How do replace the seals at top and bottom of glass chimney?